Fortifications at the southeastern front date from the period of Austrian rule over Belgrade, between 1717 and 1736, when they done major reconstruction works on the Fortress. They represent the work of military engineer Nicola Doxat de Morez. Stambol Gate, with all its passages, flanking rooms, casemates and a baroque façade, was also built during this period. Provisions set forth in the Belgrade Peace Treaty from June, 1740 prescribed the demolition of the entire gate at the southeastern front. In 1739, when Turks started regained control over Belgrade, they began building new fortifications in place of the demolished Austrian constructions, among which the Inner Gate whose grounds lay over the remains of the Austrian gate. The Inner Stambol Gate was even at the time of the Turkish rule the main gate on the Constantinople road. After the delivery of the keys to Prince Mihailo in 1739 on Stambol Gate, Serbian flag was put out alongside with the Turkish, while a Turkish guard was replaced by a Serbian one. When Serbia declared war on Turkey in 1876, the pole displaying the Turkish flag was removed from the gate as the last sign of Serbia’s vassal relationship with Turkey.





